Admin Measure Summary
- Chapter 7
- Protect People and Property
- Primary Agencies
The California Department of Water Resources evaluates the potential of creating stored material sites by “over-reinforcing” west Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta levees by January 1, 2014.
The Department of Water Resources (DWR) evaluated locations for levee stockpiled material as a part of the Delta Flood Emergency Facilities Improvement Project Refinements Report in November 2014. DWR developed a flood fighting material stockpile in Stockton, and the City of West Sacramento has undertaken the Southport levee improvement project.
Delta Plan Strategy
Continue to prepare for Delta flood emergencies
Delta Plan Recommendation
RR R1. Implement Emergency Preparedness and Response
The following actions should be taken to promote effective emergency preparedness and response in the Delta:
- Responsible local, State, and federal agencies with emergency response authority should continue to implement the recommendations of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta Multi-Hazard Coordination Task Force (Water Code section 12994.5). Such actions should support the development of a regional response system for the Delta.
- Materials should be stockpiled in appropriate locations to make post-disaster repairs of breaches in levees along the water supply reliability corridor identified in the Delta Plan’s Figure 7-6, the western islands important to protection of water quality, and other levees, to complement improvement of levees as provided in RR P1.
- Local levee-maintaining agencies, with assistance from DWR, should develop their own emergency action plans, training, and floodfight material stockpiles.
- State and local agencies, and regulated utilities that own and/or operate infrastructure in the Delta should prepare coordinated emergency response plans to protect the infrastructure from long-term outages resulting from failures of the Delta levees. The emergency procedures should consider methods that also would protect Delta land use and ecosystem.
Related Output/Outcome Performance Measure
PM 7.1 Multi-Hazard Coordination Task Force